Anna Sergunina, CFP®, is the CEO of MainStreet Financial Planning - a fee-only financial planning practice with five locations across the United States. She purchased the practice from MainStreet’s original founder in 2014, and now acts both as a financial planner for a portion of MainStreet’s clients as well as the business owner.
Anna’s experience with succession planning differs from many other financial planners we hear from. Her firm’s owner, Jim Ludwick, had planned on having her take over client relationships at some point, but Anna knew that she was ready to take over the full operation - and she approached him directly about it. Anna admits that this was a bold move, but it paid off! Jim was interested in having her buy the practice when she brought it up, and he has since stayed on the team as the self-proclaimed Chief Troublemaker.
Buying a practice is notably different than starting a financial planning practice and building it from the ground up. The ups and downs that come with purchasing an existing practice and growing it are often unexpected, and hearing Anna explain how she leverages technology and a virtual team to continue growing across the country is fascinating.
If you’ve ever considered buying a financial planning practice, want to know more about growing a multi-location practice, or wondered how a national, virtual team works together to serve clients on hourly and project-based financial planning cases - this episode is for you. Anna covers a lot of ground, and every minute of this podcast is jam-packed with valuable information!
What You’ll Learn:
- What buying a practice looks like
- The benefits of being bold when it comes to succession planning
- What business operations look like for a multi-location practice
- How you can build a sustainable practice with hourly and project-based planning
- How to manage multiple advisors across the country
- Ways that a virtual team can work together
- How Anna is giving back to women in the financial planning industry with the community she’s building - Kolective Network